Thursday, May 3, 2012

powerful words

I love quotes.  I feel like there is a quote to describe everything; you just have to search for them.  Someday I hope that there will be a famous quote from me.  Maybe it will be taken from this blog?  You never know...
Lately I have been feeling lonely and misunderstood.  I know my friends and family mean well and want to help; but since they aren't in my position, in my shoes, feeling my feelings it's got to be hard for them to say the things I need to hear.  Another reason I love quotes is because I can usually find one that I can relate to.  I had never thought about searching for quotes on depression, but I found a few today that I think really relate to my life right now, and maybe would help enlighten anyone else who is struggling with depression or has a loved one going through it.  Please take the time to read a few of these.


"A lot of people don't realize that depression is an illness. I don't wish it on anyone, but if they would know how it feels, I swear they would think twice before they just shrug it."
-Jonathan Davis-
"Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem."
-David D. Burns-

"There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds."
-Laurell K. Hamilton-

"When you're lost in those woods, it sometimes takes you a while to realize that you are lost. For the longest time, you can convince yourself that you've just wandered off the path, that you'll find your way back to the trailhead any moment now. Then night falls again and again, and you still have no idea where you are, and it's time to admit that you have bewildered yourself so far off the path that you don't even know from which direction the sun rises anymore."
-Elizabeth Gilbert-
(This one is especially meaningful to me.  I never heard about it described this way, but after reading this quote it explains everything perfectly.)
 "I don't want to see anyone. I lie in the bedroom with the curtains drawn and nothingness washing over me like a sluggish wave. Whatever is happening to me is my own fault. I have done something wrong, something so huge I can't even see it, something that's drowning me. I am inadequate and stupid, without worth. I might as well be dead."
 -Margaret Atwood- 
I feel like people always think I'm over reacting and being dramatic or searching for pity when I share things like this with them.  It makes me want to keep it bottled up even more so when I feel that reaction.  Maybe it's just my mind on the defense.  I have a hyped up fight or flight response inside of me, I know that.  Reading things like this really helped me in a strange way.  I know I'm not alone.  People really feel the way that I do and people suffer just like I do.  I'm not comforted by their pain; but I'm comforted to feel like I'm not so alone.  If only I actually knew these people.  I might try to contact some of these people and see if they may be willing to talk to me.  I already have a therapist, but it never hurts to have one more person to talk to.  Especially when they understand what you are going through; not only understand but can relate.  
Now it's time for some meditation before bed.  Tomorrow is going to be a rough one.  Hopefully I can make it through with a smile, even though I'd rather stay in bed and sleep.  Silly, but at least I'm honest, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment